Community

Walks with Lily

I walk a dog named Lily on the weekends. It has become a habit.   Lily lives two hours south of me, with her family, in a small coastal town predominantly inhabited with fishermen, their families, or descendants of their…

Read More

Where Are JoJo’s Friends on The Bachelorette?

After I watched the last season of The Bachelor, my first foray into the series, I had no intention of going on to watch The Bachelorette. But I learned something when I started talking about my experiences watching the Bachelor:…

Read More

I Hugged a Monk and I Liked It

A number of months ago, my sister and I made a snap decision to visit a monastery in the boonies. Unfortunately, we planned in haste (you might remember Tolkien’s quote, “Short cuts make long delays”, thus, upon arrival, we found…

Read More

Don’t Call Me a Millennial

It seems like I can’t make it through a day without hearing a generalization about our generation. The word “millennial” is tossed around a lot, with many different definitions, but usually what people mean when they say it is: young people….

Read More

Interviewing Shauna Niequist about her book Present Over Perfect

I started reading Shauna Niequist’s books right after college. I’ve always found her to be an honest, vulnerable voice. Her willingness to share her own journey of growth and faith has continued to encourage me. Today her latest book, Present Over…

Read More

A Night at the Circus: Looking for Beauty in Wedding Season

I accept wedding invitations because of the beauty. No matter how simple or elaborate the ceremony or the reception, it’s always there. It’s in a quick hand squeeze between parents of the bride or groom, or that moment when everyone…

Read More

The Unexpected Love Triangle of Captain America: Civil War

There’s a sweet, moving, and, yes, nontraditional love story hiding in plain sight in Captain America: Civil War, the thirteenth release in the ever-expanding Marvel Cinematic Universe.   It’s not the inevitable, flimsy romance that develops between Steve Rogers (Captain…

Read More

Prince: The Good Samaritan Who Dwelled Among Us

When the legendary musician Prince passed away, I expected to hear “music genius,” “legend,” and “icon.” However, words like generous, humanitarian, and philanthropist stood out even more. Friends, family members, and people Prince worked with who were interviewed all commented…

Read More

Son, You Need to Lead with Love

“Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like to live inside somebody else’s skin. It’s the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally…

Read More

When Shame Goes Viral

We are ridiculously talented at creating buzzwords. One of the most popular buzzwords right now is ______-shaming (enter your category of choice in the blank). One woman was accused of “fat-shaming” when she shared pictures of her chiseled physique just…

Read More