Community

my therapist

My Therapist is Not My Friend

For a long time I was afraid to go to therapy. In my church, that just wasn’t what you did. But eventually I had some emotional bumps in the road I couldn’t deal with on my own. I went kicking…

Read More

friends with a conservative

Friends with a Gun-Lovin’ Conservative

Jason and I have known each other since we were toddlers. We grew up in the same strict, small town, fundamentalist church. We weren’t much more than acquaintances throughout our early years though, having attended different schools. Eventually, Jason transferred…

Read More

refugee down the pew

The Refugee Down the Pew

Sitting down the pew from her, you wouldn’t be able to tell. She’s got a small scar on her cheek from a fight with a boy in camp. She has another on her knee, the result of a fall as…

Read More

engage honestly

How Do I Engage Honestly with Respect to Other’s Spiritual Journey? | Dear Addie #11

Dear Addie, My husband and I recently moved back to his hometown after a few years away and started going to a new church. Everything I believe about God has changed so much in the last few years, largely because…

Ask Now

assembly required

Assembly Required

I have been greatly bothered by Hebrews 10:25 for a while. You might have already felt it clouting about your ears if you aren’t someone who gets overly excited about attending church.   “Thou shalt not forsake the assembly of…

Read More

walks with lily

Walks with Lily

I walk a dog named Lily on the weekends. It has become a habit.   Lily lives two hours south of me, with her family, in a small coastal town predominantly inhabited with fishermen, their families, or descendants of their…

Read More

I was lost and found

The Problem with “I once was lost but now I’m found”

I have written a lot about my marriage. A lot. My husband is the central character in a book-length memoir I’m trying, with the help of my agent, to get published. He has appeared in short essays and long essays,…

Read More

good news for the poor

Painting Pentagrams for Jesus

One lazy Saturday morning, I stood in the kitchen drinking coffee with others in our community, feeling relaxed and peaceful, when the back door swung open and Tim sauntered in with a big grin on his face. A burly guy…

Read More

JoJo_Bachelorette

Where Are JoJo’s Friends on The Bachelorette?

After I watched the last season of The Bachelor, my first foray into the series, I had no intention of going on to watch The Bachelorette. But I learned something when I started talking about my experiences watching the Bachelor:…

Read More

conflict

The Conflict Within

Captain America: Civil War, and what to do when you stand at the edge of a cliff during a violent storm   The character’s name is Vision. Undoubtedly it suggests a mystical, possibly divine insight into the truest nature of…

Read More